Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Times, They Are A-Changin'



Everyone knows that once you have kids, you sacrifice some, if not all of your "me" time. Time I would've spent putting on a little makeup before heading to the grocery store is now spent getting the last ounce of formula down T's throat before we have to run out the door. Time I would have spent going for a run is now spent grabbing a quick shower and a cup of coffee before the kids wake up. I realized just how much I have let myself go the other night when I had to run out to the grocery store at 8pm because I had forgotten it was Paige's day as snack sharer for school the next day. While in the juice aisle debating between Hi-C with Dora on the box or Juicy Juice with Lightning McQueen on the box a STUNNING woman around my age comes around the corner. She had perfectly styled hair, her makeup was flawless, her outfit was spit-up free, and her shoes were to die for. Cut to me: Hair in a ponytail, makeup that was done 15 hours ago by that point, a pair of sweats, a long sleeved tee shirt with spit up stains on the shoulder , and old fake Uggs. I had one of those, "What the hell happened to me?" moments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I need to get all gussied up to go to ACME, but I'm finding myself sacrificing so many of the little things that make me feel good about myself. I'm not even doing it because it's necessary. Carl is perfectly capable and willing to put T to bed if I wanted to zip out for a quick jog after the big kids are in bed. I see a lot of this, not only in myself, but in other moms, too. Why do we insist on making sure that everyone else is so dependant on us for everything? From this point on I am making myself a priority. I suggest you do the same. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment